Over time, we have established a number of guidelines that help us work efficiently
and ethically. These Guidelines are STRONG, which means that, if you
break them, you are going to be in trouble, your membership of PanEris is at
risk, and you need to be very prepared to defend yourself.
First, you need to know a bit about PanEris:
Who makes up Paneris?
The Paneris Community has 3 different kinds of people involved:
Members are individuals who spend some or all of their working
life in the community. Corporate membership is not allowed.
Partners are companies who use PanEris as a source of skills
to deliver solutions to their Customers.
Customers are companies who we do work for, either directly
or through a Partner.
Hopefully, you can see where you fit in. The guidelines apply to all
How does the Money Flow?
Customers and Partners of PanEris are typically charged a fixed
price for a job. Customers are asked to pay 25% upfront as a commitment, 25% on
production of a prototype/design, and 50% on completion.
The fixed price is calculated by multiplying our standard hourly rate
by the estimated number of hours. On completion of the job, 80% of the money
is proportionally distributed between the developers based on the number of
hours they put in.
80% !? Where does the remaining 20% go?
It should be mentioned, that all figures are flexible. Basically good/more
work should be rewarded and bad work penalized. So 20% is just a guideline.
10% goes to the Salesperson for getting the job. This is to incentivise
people to bring work in.
10% goes to the Project Leader for managing the job. This is to incentivise
good management. Should the job overrun or otherwise go bad, the Project
Leader may volenteer to cut his bonus.
This leaves 80% to be spent directly on development, which tends to impress
This all seems very clear and sensible, why do you need Guidelines?
We need guidelines because it is not often clear how the Members, Partners
and Customers should interact. This needs to be defined as the interaction affects
who gets paid what money.
All right, I believe you, what are the guidelines then?
You are expected to be honest and open in all your communication
with everybody. This essentially means that you must use the messageboards
for all email messages, and must post all documents on the server.
You should also follow-up all telephone calls with an email. Customers
and Partners can request that their information is kept from public
view, in this case, a group of trusted users is established, and communication
remains open within this group.
Interaction of Members
These are your colleagues, your friends, your community. Please be
civil and helpful at all times.
Project Management Tools
As a member of PanEris, you are expected to record all time billable
to PanEris Partners or Customers in the PMS. All invoices to other
Members, Partners or Customers must be entered in the invoicing system.
Interaction of Members with Partners and Customers
Each Customer/Partner has a Key PanEris member who manages
all dealings between the Customer/Partner and PanEris, this member
typically collects the 10% Management Fee. This relationship is
very important and should not be undermined in any way by any party.
Partners put themselves at risk when they approach PanEris, as it
is easy for an outsource organization to steal customers from a 'middleman'.
PanEris Members guarantee never to approach Partner's Customers
without explicit public written permission.
Allocation of Sales Fee
The person who wins new work for Paneris generally gets 10% of the
value of the initial project as a sales fee. Long Term Work will see
the Sales fee go the the Key Paneris Member (assuming that
they have 'sold' the new project). This can be adjusted to reflect
the amount of work done attracting the customer, or in situations
where the initial project was small. The Salesperson and the Key
member will need to agree publicly in writing that the Customer
/ Partner is now generating Long Term Work
Changing the Key Member
Both Partners and Customers can generate work over the medium and
long term. This tends to lead to multiple interactions with Paneris
Members. Pressure can come from both the Customer / Partner and/or
an Alternate Member to change the Key Paneris member
(and hence the allocation of 10% for Management and Sales).
It is appropriate
to change the Key Paneris member in the following situation:
The Alternate member is generating new work from the Partner/Customer
(acting in the role of a Salesman)
The Alternate member is largely managing the customer
(acting in the role of the Project Leader)
All Parties agree publicly in writing.
The Default Situation
If things get overly complicated, or are unclear. Sales fees are payable
to the Paneris Fund. This is spent on our Christmas party, and on
keeping our server online.
Please refer new Partners, Customers and Members to these Guidelines.